Dr. Jaime “Jimmy” Galvez-Tan, MD, MPH, President of the Health Futures Foundation, Inc (HFI), former Health Secretary of the Philippines, and a charismatic radio host, recently visited Direct Relief’s headquarters where he presented on the extensive recovery efforts he’s leading in his home country – one still reeling from the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan.
Dr. Tan offered updates on Direct Relief’s collaboration with HFI to build and equip three new health stations, provide physcosocial support to survivors, and continue sending needed medicines and supplies to health workers treating people in need.
An inspiring speaker, he also offered an assortment of memorable quotes. Here are a few:
1. “Claim the present and the present shall manifest.” – on how to get the most out of life
2. “I am happy. I am healthy. I am prosperous. I am healed. I am completely healed. So be it. So be it. So be it.” – a mantra that Dr. Tan recommends people say to themselves each morning and evening
3. “[People] are angels helping us in the Philippines.” – Dr. Tan on the Filipino reaction to supporters of the recovery efforts
4. “It should be a joy to visit the health center, not a drag.” – on why the new health centers will be vibrant and colorful
5. “You can bring back their bodies, but it is their minds that are so much more affected.” – on the importance of psychosocial support after disasters
6. “There remains a great need for medicines and supplies in the Philippines.” – on why long-term support must continue, even though the typhoon headlines have faded