JOB TITLE: Director of Development
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
LOCATION: Goleta, CA
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
The Director of Development is a key leadership position requiring an individual who has the ability to drive Direct Relief to achieve and surpass its financial goals. Reporting to the Vice President for Marketing, Communications and Development, this position is responsible for managing a comprehensive fundraising platform for Direct Relief that successfully meets the individual revenue goals of the organization.
The Director of Development will spend approximately eighty percent time on direct fund-raising activities, focusing that time on major individual gift acquisition. Twenty percent time will be focused on other activities related to management and administrative duties, such as coordinating the activities of the development staff who are focused on gifts from individuals.
The primary responsibilities of the role will be: 1) Fund development, with the principal focus on developing of upper level prospect relationships and securing of major gifts from individual donors, and 2) Management of development gift officers and staff focused on individual and planned giving.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits, closes and stewards major and transformational gifts from individuals.
- Devotes significant effort to personal solicitations, focusing primarily on major gifts.
- Meets individually with donors and major gift prospects in and out of Santa Barbara region.
- Works directly with Board Chair, Development Committee, CEO, COO, and VP in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding the largest gifts to the organization, managing a portfolio of existing donors and prospects focused on major gifts of $100K+.
- Manages the individual development staff to identify prospects, developing strategies leading to solicitation, closing, and stewardship of gifts from individual donors.
- Effective application, knowledge and understanding of appropriate development techniques and fund development best practices to interact capably with donors and secure a steady stream of revenue.
- Plans and implements an annual major donor cultivation and solicitation strategy to secure funding for organizational priorities and to reach annual budgeted goals.
- Develops and executes a strategy for planned gifts to the organization.
- Manages the implementation of Raiser’s Edge and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing and reporting back to the donors.
- Working with Communications staff, develops persuasive written donor communications, including cases for support.
- Oversees fundraising events (e.g., President’s Circle, Legacy), development of funding proposals, and fundraising communications.
SPECIFIC DELIVERABLES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN FIRST SIX MONTHS:
- Understand Direct Relief and its programs; Gain competency in expressing fundraising and organizational priorities effectively.
- Expand individual funding pipeline momentum maintained, with short list of key prospects, with near-term action steps.
- Execute outreach to prospects and donors; meetings taking place with top donors, including initial relationship-building and external calls with executive staff and Board members.
- Create long-term work plan for individual fundraising, with clear goals and expectations of self and development team.
- Develop cases for support across major programmatic areas.
QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated and documented experience of the principles and practices of high-level development, with an emphasis on individual relationships and giving; demonstrated ability to design, execute and grow a sustainable fundraising program.
- 7 to 10 years of Development experience, including working knowledge of annual giving, capital campaigns, foundation/corporate solicitations, planned giving, communications, and special events, with proven success in securing major gifts at the five and six-figure level, or other comparable experience.
- Demonstrated creativity in applying traditional and innovative fund development concepts.
- Exceptional ability to engage, build, and sustain relationships with a wide range of people.
- Demonstrated experience in driving results via highly rated prospects and donors.
- Ability to meet revenue goals and objectives.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills necessary to tailor compelling messages to various audiences.
- Passion in our mission and enthusiasm about working for a nonprofit.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Exceptional planning, development team management, and project management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
- Academic Background: Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Clear background check
- Clear toxicology screening
- Integrity and trust
- Interpersonal savvy
- Presentation skills
- Strategic agility
- Drive for results
FOR CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE SUBMIT:
- Cover letter
- Salary history & requirements
- Three relevant writing samples (e.g., appeal letters, donor reports, proposals)
Jenna Cox, Direct Relief
27 S. La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
POSTING CLOSE DATE: December 31st, 2013