- in medical aid
- doses of medicine
- pounds of medicine and supplies
- healthcare providers supported
Investing in Communities
In addition to equipping health centers and clinics with requested medical supplies, Direct Relief has provided more than $26 million in cash grants aimed bolstering Puerto Rico’s health sector in the following ways:
- Powering Health: Direct Relief is equipping Puerto Rico’s health centers, clinics and community facilities with more than 1 megawatt of solar production capacity and 1.7 megawatts of battery storage. Direct Relief has also furnished 89 health centers across the island with 164 FDA-compliant pharmaceutical and laboratory refrigerators and freezers with enough capacity to store roughly 6 million vials of vaccines.
- Extending Medical Services to Remote Areas: Direct Relief is addressing medical access gaps by establishing telehealth programs at health facilities in underserved areas. Direct Relief is also enabling health service delivery in remote communities through the procurement of 30 mobile medical units and patient transport vehicles for health centers and clinics.
- Disaster Readiness: Twelve health facilities across Puerto Rico received pre-packed modules of emergency medical supplies from Direct Relief in advance of the 2018 and 2019 hurricane seasons. Items include a range of medications for wound care, chronic diseases and mental health conditions. Direct Relief is also providing more than 140 long-range radios to health centers, ensuring their ability to communicate across local and island-wide channels during a communication outage. Lastly, Direct Relief has equipped each member of Puerto Rico’s Medical Reserve Corps with an Emergency Medical Backpack for triage medical outreach activities during emergencies. The ruggedized, U.S. Surgeon General-approved packs hold disaster-specific supplies and equipment, including items for infection control, diagnostics and trauma care.
Direct Relief is registered in Puerto Rico as a “non-profit foreign corporation, organized under the laws of California and duly authorized to do business in Puerto Rico since March 29, 2019.” To view Direct Relief’s registration page on the Puerto Rico Registry of Corporations and Entities, click here and enter “Direct Relief” in the field for “Corporate Name.”