Paramount Pictures has announced a new philanthropic initiative led by the cast of the Star Trek film franchise and Omaze, which gives fans the chance to win a walk-on role in Star Trek Beyond, the upcoming film directed by Justin Lin. The ‘Star Trek: To Boldly Go’ campaign will support the cast’s personal selection of the following nine charities, including Direct Relief:
- Brave Beginnings, an organization dedicated to ensuring that ventilators and life-saving neonatal equipment are always available to newborns in critical need. Nominated by Zoë Saldana.
- Camp Sunshine, a place where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families can regroup, reenergize, and restore hope for the future. Nominated by Anton Yelchin.
- Direct Relief, one of the premiere disaster relief organizations that operates worldwide. Nominated by Zachary Quinto.
- Heaven Homes, an organization helping establish children’s homes and centers, while providing secure, safe and loving environments where children can be nurtured to realize their full potential. Nominated by Idris Elba.
- KidsCan, an organization that provides food, clothing and healthcare to disadvantaged youth in New Zealand. Nominated by Karl Urban.
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center, an organization serving the evolving needs of the Korean American population in the greater Los Angeles area as well as the multiethnic Koreatown community. Nominated by John Cho.
- Make-A-Wish, whose remarkable work is making wishes come true every day for children suffering from lifethreatening illnesses. Nominated by Chris Pine.
- Time is Precious, an organization helping to create a more comfortable and relaxed atmosphere for children, which in return helps assist with their treatment and recovery. Nominated by Simon Pegg.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization that is leading the way in advancing cures for childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Nominated by Susan Nimoy in honor of Leonard Nimoy.
Direct Relief was nominated for the campaign by Star Trek actor Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the movie. Since last summer, Zachary has been raising awareness of Direct Relief’s response efforts, including those in West Africa during the Ebola crisis and following the devastating earthquakes in Nepal.
“I felt like the transparency of the organization and the way 100 percent of donations get appropriated to make a difference were something that appealed to me,” Quinto told the Santa Barbara News-Press last week.
Most recently, Zachary supported Direct Relief through appearances on Celebrity Jeopardy and Celebrity Game Night, where he raised thousands of dollars to help people in need around the world access medical care.
For more details and to join the campaign, please visit http://Omaze.com/StarTrek