Over the past seven days, Direct Relief has delivered 347 shipments of requested medical aid to 43 U.S. states and territories and 13 countries worldwide.
The shipments contained more than 1.3 million defined daily doses of medication, including insulin, antibiotics, and other essential medications, as well as medical essentials for Covid-19 response, including personal protective equipment, or PPE, and powered air purifying respirators, or PAPRs.
In the U.S., Direct Relief delivered 379 shipments weighing 24,385 pounds and containing 523,891 doses of medications.
The largest U.S. shipments by value (wholesale) went to the following organizations:
- Agape Clinic – Dallas, Texas ($390.9K)
- The Never Alone Project – Indianapolis, Indiana ($193.1K)
- San Jose Clinic – Houston, Texas ($76.4K)
- Interfaith Community Clinic – Oak Ridge North, Texas ($64.8K)
- Northern Kentucky Independent District Health Department – Florence, Kentucky ($60.3K)
- Pancare of Florida – Malone, Florida ($55.9K)
- St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Pharmacy – Cincinnati, Ohio ($52.6K)
- The Chris Atwood Foundation – Reston, Virginia ($48K)
- Ventura County Medical Center – Ventura, California ($44.9K)
Globally, Direct Relief shipped more than 771,036 defined daily doses of medication totaling 59,333 pounds this week.
The following organizations received supplies:
- Ministerio Salud Publica, Paraguay ($1.3M)
- Baylor College of Medicine – Children’s Foundation Malawi ($734.6K)
- Mulago National Referral Hospital, Uganda ($266K)
- Diabaction Congo – Institut du Diabete Maison Bleue ($238.2K)
- Robena Health Center, Sierra Leone ($157.4K)
- Churches of Christ Medical Santo, Vanuatu ($150.8K)
- Area 25 Health Centre, Malawi ($135.6K)
- Anera West Bank ($127.8K)
- HOPE Hospital, Bangladesh ($91.1K)
- Sanjay Ghandi Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Science, India ($72.8K)
- Aberdeen Women’s Centre, Sierra Leone ($36.9K)
- Patan Hospital, Nepal ($29.7K)
- St. Mary’s Hospital, Lacor, Uganda ($28.5K)
- Disaster Relief Australia ($11.8K)
Bolstering Health Equity Efforts Across the U.S.
This week the organization announced the formation of a health equity fund, which aims to provide financial support primarily to community health centers, and to free and charitable clinics, whose patients include a high percentage of racial and ethnic minorities. Initial anchoring support for the Fund has been provided by long-term partner AbbVie, which announced in December its contribution as part as part of its larger social investment, and by philanthropist MacKenzie Scott. This month the NBA also announced its support as part of NBA All-Star 2021, and the Fund welcomes others to join the efforts.
The organization also continues to issue grants to more than 200 health centers across the U.S. involved in Covid-19 vaccination efforts. This week, two health facilities in Santa Barbara County, where Direct Relief is headquartered, received an infusion of support. The Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics and the Community Health Centers of the Central Coast received $150,000 each to support outreach efforts and patient care.
Year to Date
Since January 1, 2021, Direct Relief has delivered 4,036 shipments to 1,240 partner organizations in 49 U.S. states and territories and 56 countries. These shipments contained 53.7 million defined daily doses of medication valued at $198.3 million (wholesale) and totaling 1.6 million lbs. (800 tons).
Other grants from Direct Relief this year have supported the following organizations:
- Ain Shams University Hospital
- Arizona Alliance for Community Health Centers
- Atlantic Medical Center Sabana Hoyos
- Bayou Clinic
- Centro de Salud Familiar Dr. Julio Palmieri Ferri, Inc.
- Centro de Servicios Primarios de Salud
- Centros Integrados de Servicios de Salud
- Children in Trouble
- Community Clinic Association of Los Angeles County
- Community Health Center Association of Mississippi
- Concilio de Salud Integral de Loiza, Inc
- Corporación de Servicios Médicos Primarios y Prevención de Hatillo, Inc.
- Corporación SANOS, Inc.
- COSSMA, Inc.
- Florida Association of Community Health Centers
- Fort Defiance Indian Hospital
- Foundation for Puerto Rico
- Foundation of Amazon Sustainability
- Gift of the Givers
- Global Health Access Program (GHAP)
- Groundswell UK
- Gynocare Women’s and Fistula Hospital in Kenya
- Health Equity International (Haiti)
- Health Net, Inc
- HOPE Foundation for Women and Children of Bangladesh, Inc.
- Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Midwives for Haiti
- National Black Church Initiative
- National Black Nurses Association
- NC MedAssist
- NeoMed Center, Inc.
- Northeast Valley Health
- Oxnard Firefighters Foundation, Inc
- Rio Beni Health Foundation
- Salud Integral en la Montaña, Inc.
- The Navajo Nation
- Uganda Cancer Institute
- Community University Health Care Center, University of Minnesota
- University of KwaZulu Natal
- Yayasan Bumi Sehat